I was really torn about whether or not to respond to this comment. After all, this is a ramen review blog, not a soapbox. But after mulling the subject over for a while, I think it deserves some sort of response.
For those of you who don’t feel like clicking on the link above, here’s the comment again:
Kelle June 19th, 2007 | 5:15 am
i live in a real small town where all the kids like these noodles. they are very nutrient and make a great snack but they should also come with a warning on the lable!
On April 2, 2007 my 7yr old son received 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree burns in his genital ares and legs when a bowl of these noodles overturned in his lap! yesterday on June 18,2007 my neice received 1st, and 2nd degree burns to her genital area because ramen noodles was spilled in her lap and yet the package says serve HOT! While we were at the burn center in galveston tx we were told that ramen noodles were the nnumber one cause of burns to children under the age of 15yrs. THIS IS SAD not to mention very painfull to the child that has been burned! PLEASE PUT A WARNING LABLE ON THE PACKAGE! from a loving mother and aunt
Now, the first thing I want to clear up is that I don’t represent any ramen house/factory/company/association and I don’t get a single dime from any ramen house/factory/company/association for anything that I do (sigh). I don’t sell any ramen or ramen-related products (well, except for this nifty ramen pin, but I digress), and heck, I don’t even know if anyone related to the ramen industry even reads this humble blog or cares what I have to say.
To Kelle’s son and niece, and anyone else who’s ever accidently been burned by hot water from a bowl of instant noodles, you have my most sincere condolences, and I hope you have a speedy recovery. Being burned is serious and a great tragedy. I do need to ask three questions:
1. who boiled the water?
2. who put the boiling water in the bowl?
3. who served the bowl with the boiling hot water to the kids?
For what it’s worth, I looked on the side of a Nissin Souper Cup in our pantry and discovered that there is already a warning notice on the side of the package, and in two languages no less:
Do be careful out there folks!